- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- To the bowl of a food processor, add flour and cayenne pepper; pulse to combine. Add butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 seconds.
- Add cheese to the food processor; pulse until combined. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Using a fork, stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce until well combined. Have ready several pieces of parchment paper.
- Form mixture into two 1-inch-diameter logs, and wrap in parchment. Transfer the logs to the refrigerator, and chill until very firm, at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove logs from refrigerator, and cut each one into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Place the rounds on prepared baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.
- Bake the shortbread until golden, about 12 minutes, rotating baking sheets between shelves halfway through baking.
- Transfer shortbread to wire racks to cool. Bake remaining dough.
Dough can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.