Mother's Crab Cakes
This irresistible recipe for crab cakes comes from actor Robert Duvall.
The Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2007
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat, picked through
- 2 heaping tablespoons prepared mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 small onion, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 17 saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Tartar Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/282075/tartar-sauce)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large bowl, mix together crab meat, mayonnaise, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, onion, and mustard. Gently stir in crackers.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop crab mixture into 8 portions onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press each scoop into a patty about 3/4 inch thick.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add crab cakes and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve immediately with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.