This recipe for cranberry-almond tarts is from New York City's How Sweet It Is bakery.
The Martha Stewart Show, December Holiday 2007
- 1/2 recipe Almond Tart Dough (http://www.marthastewart.com/256326/almond-tart-dough)
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- Frangipane (http://www.marthastewart.com/258917/frangipane)
- 1 pound fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sliced, blanched almonds, toasted
- Caramel (http://www.marthastewart.com/257387/caramel)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place one disk of dough on a floured work surface, sprinkle dough with flour, and roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out 25 to 30 circles using a 2 1/4-inch round cutter, re-rolling dough once if necessary. Place each circle in a 1 3/4-inch nonstick petit four brioche mold, gently pressing down on the bottom and sides. Place filled molds on a baking sheet; transfer to a freezer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake tart shells until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer tart shells, in their molds, to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place frangipane in pastry bag fitted with a small, plain round tip. Fill each tart shell with 1/4 teaspoon frangipane. Place tart shells, in their molds, on a baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake until frangipane springs back when touched with your fingertip, 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer tart shells to a cooling rack; let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix together cranberries, almonds, and enough caramel to hold cranberries and almonds together, about 1 cup. Remove almond tarts from their molds and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spoon cranberry mixture on top of frangipane; transfer to oven and bake until cranberries just begin to pop, 6 to 8 minutes. Drizzle with caramel and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.