This delicious recipe is courtesy of Elizabeth Falkner and is a perfect addition to her Citizen Steak with Blue Cheese Ice Cream recipe.
The Martha Stewart Show
- 4 cups canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 large egg whites
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup lager beer
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Place canola oil in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until it reaches 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together rice flour, egg whites, 1 teaspoon salt, beer, and cayenne pepper until smooth. Add onion slices to mixture; toss to coat.
- Gently drop coated onions into oil, working in batches if necessary, and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onion rings to a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.