- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- 5 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- Rustic bread (optional), for serving
- In a large bowl, combine pork, 1/4 cup onion, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, breadcrumbs, eggs, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. With a wooden spoon, gently mix to combine and, using your hands, roll into 25 meatballs (each 1 1/2 inches wide).
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium-high. In two batches, brown meatballs on all sides, 8 minutes per batch. Transfer meatballs to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add remaining onion to skillet; cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Transfer onion to slow cooker, along with 1 teaspoon paprika and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on low until meatballs are tender, 5 hours. Serve with rustic bread if desired.
Meatballs and sauce can be frozen, up to 2 weeks, for a quick dinner another night. To freeze, let cool completely, then transfer to airtight containers. Gently reheat on the stove, covered, over medium-low and serve over pasta or polenta.