Paul Bunyan Cookies
Submitted by Carol Osgood of Littleton, Colorado. As their name implies, these cookies are very large, so place six to eight cookies per sheet.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2003
Yield Makes about 18 cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 bag (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup (5 ounces) chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with a Silpat. Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream vegetable shortening and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add molasses, and beat to combine. Add eggs and mix until fully incorporated. Add the flour mixture, one cup at a time, beating on low speed until dough comes together. Remove bowl from mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips, oats, raisins, and walnuts.
- Using a 2-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet, about 3 inches apart. Bake until firm, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before transferring cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.