Crispy Tacos Picadillo
Picadillo is a dish consisting of ground beef, onions, garlic, and tomatoes.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2009
For the Picadillo
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 large white onion, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound ground chuck (80 percent lean)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (1 to 2 cloves)
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (2 3/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder or pasilla chili powder (<a href="http://earthy.com">earthy.com</a>)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
For the Tacos
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 20 corn tortillas
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, for serving
- Chopped white onion, for serving
- Shredded mild cheddar cheese, preferably longhorn, for serving
- <u>Salsa Picante</u>, for serving
- Make the picadillo: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook until just starting to turn translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beef, and cook, breaking up pieces with the back of a wooden spoon, until beef has browned, about 4 minutes. Spoon out excess fat so that 1 tablespoon remains. Stir in garlic, tomatoes, paprika, chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, and cumin. Add water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until thick and very little liquid remains, about 18 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
- Make the tacos: Heat 1 inch oil in a heavy-bottomed, high-sided skillet until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325 degrees. Fry tortillas, one at a time, by folding in half and laying one half flat in oil while holding other half with tongs, and repeating with the other half to form a half moon shell, until golden and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes per half. Meanwhile, let finished taco shells rest on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Spoon picadillo into each taco shell, and garnish with lettuce, onion, shredded cheese, and salsa picante.
Store-bought taco shells can be substituted for homemade ones.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.