Photography: Beatriz Da Costa
Martha Stewart Living, March 2006
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 4
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- Stir gelatin and 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl until dissolved.
- Put 3/4 cup sugar into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, without stirring, until sugar at edges begins to melt and turn clear, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until medium amber, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water. If sugar begins to solidify, return pan to medium heat until melted. Set caramel aside to cool completely.
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Whisk eggs and yolk in a medium bowl; set aside. Bring cream, milk, 1/4 cup sugar, and the salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk half the hot cream mixture into the eggs. Pour cream-egg mixture back into saucepan. Add gelatin mixture; whisk until combined. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring constantly, just until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 1/2 minutes.
- Pour custard into a bowl set in the ice-water bath. Let cool completely, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large, shallow bowl. Refrigerate until set, at least 30 minutes. Pour reserved caramel over custard. Divide among serving cups or bowls.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.