- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking sheets
- 3 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups best-quality chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter until smooth; add sugars, and beat until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Into a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Slowly beat dry ingredients into wet mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop 2 to 3 tablespoons dough per cookie onto ungreased baking sheets; space dough at least 2 inches apart to allow for spreading. Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheets, and allow to cool on baking racks.
If cookies harden before you have a chance to remove them from the baking sheet, return the sheet to the oven for a few seconds to soften the dough for easier removal.
On "Martha Bakes," Martha used 2 cups of chocolate chips in this recipe. She chilled the dough for 1 hour and baked the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking time.