Whole-Wheat Lemon Biscotti
Martha Stewart Living, December 2009
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup whole almonds
- Combine flours and baking powder. Beat butter, sugar, honey, lemon zest, and salt with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla and almond extracts. Working in batches, add flour mixture to butter mixture, scraping down sides of bowl after each addition. Fold in almonds with a rubber spatula. Wrap dough in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface. Divide dough in half, and roll each half into a 2-by-15-inch log. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing about 6 inches apart. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Transfer baking sheet to oven. Bake until logs are slightly firm and pale golden, about 35 minutes. Remove logs from oven, and reduce heat to 300 degrees. Let logs stand until cool enough to handle. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut logs on the bias into 1/2-inch-thick slices, returning to baking sheet, flat side down, as you work. Bake until golden, 35 to 40 minutes more. Let cool on sheet. (Biscotti can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 week.)
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.