Photo: Pål Allan
Decadent indeed, this frosting is a chocolate lover's dream come true. Creme fraiche offsets some of the richness. Use it to frost vanilla cake (or chocolate if you're a chocoholic).Also try: Basic Buttercream,
Ganache, and Seven-Minute Frosting
Martha Stewart Living, September 2010
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pound 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 1/2 cups creme fraiche or sour cream
- Beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Sift together sugar, cocoa powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; gradually beat into cream cheese mixture. With machine running, pour in melted chocolate in a slow, steady stream. Beat in creme fraiche until well combined. If frosting doesn't seem firm enough, refrigerate for 10 minutes. Beat before using.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.