Creamed Spinach with Mrs. Kostyra
This quick and easy recipe transforms fresh spinach into a savory side dish. First prepared by Martha's mother, this hearty version of the classic was an ever-present holiday menu offering in the Kostyra home.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2002
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh spinach, well washed (not dried) and tough stems removed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Place spinach in a large pot over high heat. Cook, covered, with just the water clinging to leaves, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain, squeezing out and reserving excess liquid. Roughly chop spinach; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk; season with salt, pepper, and sugar. Thin with reserved spinach liquid. Stir in spinach. Sprinkle with nutmeg to taste and, if desired, top with a dollop of sour cream. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.