Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Martha Stewart Living, April 2003
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the egg whites and sugar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar has dissolved and whites are hot to the touch, 2 minutes.
- Transfer bowl to the electric mixer. Using the whisk attachment, mix on low speed, gradually increasing to high speed, until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 10 minutes.
- At low speed, add the butter, piece by piece, to the egg whites, and beat until smooth. Add the vanilla, and continue mixing until incorporated.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.