Gooey Coconut Dream Bars
This delicious recipe is courtesy of Amy Scherber and Toy Kim Dupree and can be found in "The Sweeter Side of Amy's Bread."
The Martha Stewart Show, December Winter 2008
For the Crust
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 20 crackers)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
For the Topping
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with a rack in the center of oven. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper; set aside.
- To make the crust: In a medium bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and salt. Pour mixture into prepared pan and press into bottom of pan using your fingertips.
- To make the topping: In another medium bowl, mix together chocolate chips and coconut; sprinkle evenly over crust.
- Pour condensed milk evenly over coconut and chips, covering the entire surface. Transfer to oven and bake, rotating pan halfway through baking, making sure the milk does not get too brown or bubble over in the pan, 26 to 32 minutes.
- Transfer baking pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 20 squares. Serve immediately, or wrap each bar tightly with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.