Toasted Marshmallow Cupcakes
Simple and sweet, this tasty treat is perfect for getting kids involved in baking.
For the Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 18 cupcake liners
For the Topping
- 1 bag of jumbo marshmallows
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- Whisk cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in eggs, warm water, milk, sour cream, butter, and vanilla, mixing until smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup halfway (about 2 ounces each). Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Let cake cool slightly and change the oven to broil.
- Make the topping: Place one marshmallow vertically in the center of each cupcake. Put the cupcakes back into the oven (careful not to knock any marshmallows off) and watch them closely, as the marshmallows will roast in a matter of seconds.
- When the marshmallows appear golden brown on top and puffed slightly, take the cupcakes out of the oven and carefully press the marshmallows down, using your hand or a spoon, to cover the whole top of the cupcake.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.