- 1 large egg
- Pinch of dried mustard
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- Process egg, mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until pale and foamy, about 1 1/2 minutes. Combine oils; with machine running, add oil, drop by drop, through feed tube until mixture begins to thicken (about 1/4 cup oil; do not stop the machine). Add remaining oil in a slow, steady stream, processing until incorporated. Gradually add 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Grind saffron with a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice; let stand until liquid turns yellow, 5 minutes. Strain; discard threads.
- Put mayonnaise into a small bowl; drizzle in saffron liquid, stirring. Season with salt, if desired. Cover; refrigerate until ready to serve, or overnight.
Note: The egg in this recipe is not fully cooked. Recipe should not be prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.