Try this all-purpose condiment with a cheese plate, as a spread on a sandwich with roast meat, or on top of lamb, grilled chicken, or sauteed pork chops.
From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books).
Mad Hungry, December 2010
- 3 medium papayas, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 chayote, peeled, pitted, and diced, or 1 peeled and diced cucumber
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, or a combination, finely chopped
- 1/4 whole lime, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger or minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook gently over low heat for 2 hours, stirring periodically.
- Remove from the heat and allow the chutney to cool.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.