Skirt Steak with Pan-Fried Polenta
Everyday Food, May 2011
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 1/4 pounds skirt steak (fat trimmed), cut into 4 pieces and patted dry
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- <u>Reserved polenta</u>, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 cups <u>reserved leeks</u>
- 3 ounces baby arugula (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- Lemon wedges (optional), for serving
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Heat a large cast-iron or heavy skillet over medium-high. Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper. In two batches, cook steak until browned, 6 minutes per batch, flipping once. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, loosely tent with foil, and keep warm in oven. Wipe skillet clean and return to heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and cook half the polenta wedges until crisp, about 5 minutes, flipping once. Repeat with remaining oil and polenta. Transfer to sheet with steak. Add leeks to skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened, stirring frequently, 3 minutes.
- Toss together arugula and parsley. Thinly slice steak against the grain and serve with salad, polenta wedges topped with leeks, and lemon wedges, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.