Pate a Choux
Use this pate a choux recipe to make mouthwatering pastries such as profiteroles and eclairs.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2005
- Yield Makes enough for 3 dozen cream puffs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, plus 1 large egg white
- Bring butter, sugar, salt, and 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Using a wooden spoon, quickly stir in flour. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture pulls away from sides and a film forms on bottom of pan, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until slightly cooled, about 1 minute. Raise speed to medium; add whole eggs, 1 at a time, until a soft peak forms when batter is touched with your finger. If peak does not form, lightly beat remaining egg white, and mix it into batter a little at a time until it does.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.