Classic Pound Cake
Enjoy a slice of this classic cake on its own or topped with berries and whipped cream.
Martha Bakes, February 2011
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 4 cups sifted cake flour, plus more for pans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 8 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour two 9-by-5-by-3-inch (or larger) loaf pans and set aside.
- Sift the flour with the salt and baking powder two times and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter until fluffy. Add the sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Stir only until thoroughly blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans, making sure to divide the batter evenly between the two pans. Level tops with an offset spatula. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, until a cake tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan about 10 minutes; then remove to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.