Spicy Stir-Fried Chicken and Vegetables
One of the easiest ways to serve a quick, delicious dinner is to choose a recipe that combines all the elements of your meal in a single dish.
Martha Stewart Living, March 1998
- 1 ounce dried tree-ear or wood-ear mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon rice-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 whole boneless, skinless whole chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/2 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 scallions, white and most of green part, sliced into thin rings
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, cut in 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 one-pound green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place mushrooms in a medium bowl, and cover with boiling water. Soak 10 minutes, and drain in a colander.
- Place egg white, rice-wine vinegar, salt, and cornstarch mixture in a large bowl; whisk to combine. Add chicken, cover, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Bring a large stockpot of water to boil. Blanch broccoli for 1 minute; remove broccoli from water, and rinse under cold running water to stop cooking. Add carrots to boiling water, and blanch 1 to 2 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold running water to stop cooking.
- Heat a large wok over medium-high heat. Add canola oil, ginger, garlic, scallions, and red-pepper flakes. Saute 30 seconds. Add onion and bell pepper, and saute 1 minute more. Add carrots, and cook another 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli, cabbage, jalapeno, and mushrooms; cook 3 to 4 minutes, until cabbage starts to wilt. Remove chicken from marinade, and add to wok. Saute until chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.