Grandma Stafford's Nutmeg Cookies
This delicious nutmeg cookie recipe is courtesy of Abigail Breslin's great-grandmother.
The Martha Stewart Show, July Summer 2007
- Unsalted butter, for baking sheet
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a baking sheet and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together sugar and shortening until well combined. Add eggs, mixing until incorporated.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. With the mixer running, add flour, alternating with buttermilk and beginning and ending with flour; mix until well combined.
- Using a tablespoon, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake until edges are slightly brown, about 15 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.