Top these delightful strawberry cupcakes with Strawberry Meringue Buttercream and tiny wild strawberries.
Martha Bakes, January 2011
Yield Makes about 30 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling fruit
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 10 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into small dice, plus more for garnish
- Strawberry Meringue Buttercream (http://www.marthastewart.com/282721/strawberry-meringue-buttercream)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 1/2 standard 12-cup cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
- Into a medium bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and then beat in vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour; beat until combined after each addition. Fold in strawberries.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cups so that each is about two-thirds full, about 2 ounces each. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through, until the cupcakes are golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire racks.
- Make Strawberry Meringue Buttercream and spread or pipe about 1/2 cup frosting on top of each cupcake. Garnish with strawberries, cut into halves, quarters, or left whole, depending on the size.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.