This recipe for baccala salad is courtesy of Sal Scognamillo, owner of Patsy's.
The Martha Stewart Show, December Holiday 2007
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless salt cod (baccala)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 20 gaeta olives, pitted
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place cod in a large bowl of cold water. Refrigerate for 4 to 5 days, changing water each day.
- Drain cod and cut into 3-inch pieces. Transfer to a large saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until fish is easily flaked with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and transfer cod to a bowl filled with cold water until cooled, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, olives, garlic, and basil; season with salt and pepper.
- Drain cod and flake with a fork. Add to bowl with olive oil mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.