Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwich, New York City Deli-Style
This tasty breakfast sandwich, from Lucinda Scala Quinn's "Mad Hungry" cookbook, is sure to become a new family favorite.
The Martha Stewart Show
- 1 everything bagel, or other bagel of choice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for buttering bagel
- 2 large eggs
- 1 thin slice cheese, such as American or cheddar
- 2 to 3 slices cooked bacon
- Hot sauce and/or ketchup, for serving
- Slice bagel in half. Butter cut sides of each half and toast in a toaster oven or on a griddle (if using a pop-up toaster, butter halves after they are toasted).
- Meanwhile, heat a cast-iron or nonstick skillet. Add butter to skillet. Carefully crack both eggs into skillet. When whites begin to set, immediately puncture yolks.
- Top one egg with cheese and bacon. Place remaining egg, yolk-side down on top of bacon (like an egg-on-egg sandwich). Transfer eggs onto one toasted half of the bagel; top with remaining bagel half and lightly press together. Serve immediately with hot sauce or ketchup, or wrap halfway in parchment paper or aluminum foil for a portable breakfast.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.