Broiled Black Pepper Sirloin Steak
Be sure to let the meat rest before slicing into pieces; allowing it to sit helps to retain the juices and flavor.
Mad Hungry, February 2011
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pound boneless sirloin steak
- Coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 onion, cut in half and sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Place 12-inch cast-iron skillet under broiler for 2 minutes.
- Brush olive oil onto steak. Season both sides of steak generously with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Add the steak to the heated pan and broil for 8 1/2 minutes.
- Transfer steak to a plate to rest. Heat steak pan on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Add onions and butter. Stir and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Pour in vinegar and stir to scrape up browned bits on bottom of the pan. Let vinegar simmer until reduced, just about 1 minute.
- Pour any steak juices from the resting steak into the pan. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and slice into 1/4-inch slices. Lay the steak slices on a platter and pour the sauce over top and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.