Candied orange slices are a sweet complement to this richly textured cake made with chopped almonds and nutty semolina flour.Look for semolina flour at Italian and gourmet markets or health-food stores.
Martha Bakes, February 2011
For the Cake
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 8 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups caster (superfine) sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 cup semolina flour
- 1 cup blanched slivered almonds, finely chopped
For the Candied Orange Slices
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease sides of a 10-inch tube pan with removable bottom.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, approximately 7 minutes. Add sugar, then yolks, and beat until stiff, adding baking powder along the way. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, condensed milk, vanilla powder, and the orange zest until smooth.
- Fold the whipped butter mixture into the egg white mixture. Fold in cake flour, semolina flour, and chopped almonds.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil and bake an additional 10 to 20 minutes.
- While the cake is in the oven, make the candied orange slices: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange orange slices in a single layer and generously dust with confectioners' sugar. Transfer to 350-degree oven and bake until bubbling and lightly golden around edges, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Turn off oven and leave cake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove cake, place on a cooling rack, cover with foil and a plate to cool for 1 hour.
- Remove cake from pan and serve with candied orange slices and whipped cream.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.