Baked Crisp Parmesan Romano Chicken
Marinating and baking the chicken is a healthy alternative for keeping it moist and flavorful.
Martha Stewart Living, March 2005
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), rinsed well, patted dry, and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, fresh, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, salt, red-pepper flakes, oregano, and 2 minced garlic cloves in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add chicken to marinade in dish, turning each piece to coat. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir together breadcrumbs, cheeses, parsley, pepper, and remaining garlic in a medium bowl. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and coat lightly with olive oil.
- Dredge each chicken piece in breadcrumb mixture to coat; shake off excess. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake chicken until breadcrumbs are golden and chicken is cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes. Using a spatula, loosen chicken from sheet before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.