Breakfast Sandwich Frittata
For a vegetarian frittata, omit the bacon and toast pitas in olive oil instead.
Photography: Con Poulos
Everyday Food, May 2011
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 heavy cream
- 1/4 whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons mixed chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, chives, and chervil)
- 2/3 cup grated sharp cheddar (2 ounces)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pita, split horizontally into 2 rounds
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, milk, cayenne, herbs, and half the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small ovenproof nonstick or cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 7 minutes. Transfer bacon to egg mixture and pour all but 1 teaspoon fat into a small bowl. Add 1 pita round to skillet and cook until toasted and golden, 3 minutes, flipping halfway through; transfer to a plate. Repeat with more reserved fat and remaining pita half; leave pita in skillet, cut side up.
- Add egg mixture and cook over medium, gently stirring, 30 seconds. Top egg mixture with other pita half, cut side down; transfer to the oven and bake 8 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese, then bake until frittata is puffed and golden, about 8 minutes. Let sit 3 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.