Shrimp with Kale and White Beans
To prepare a vegetarian version of this dish, omit the shrimp and replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2005
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (cut into half-moons, if large)
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 can (15 ounces) white beans, such as cannellini or navy, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 small bunch kale (about 12 ounces), stems and center ribs discarded, leaves thinly sliced crosswise
- 18 medium shrimp (about 8 ounces), peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut six pieces of parchment paper to measure 12 by 13 inches each. Stir together carrot, celery, onion, beans, rosemary, lemon juice, oil, and salt in a large bowl; season with pepper. Add kale and shrimp; toss well.
- Lay parchment rectangles on a work surface. Divide shrimp mixture evenly among them, mounding in center of each. Working with one piece at a time, gather paper around filling to form a bundle; loosely tie with kitchen twine (18-inch piece), leaving a small opening. Pour 2 tablespoons stock into opening of each bundle; tie twine in a bow tightly to seal.
- Transfer bundles to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes; shrimp should be cooked through. Transfer packets to bowls. Serve immediately, opening packets at the table.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.