Rock Shrimp Curry
Rock shrimp, so named for their particularly hard shell, have a delicate, sweet flavor. Try them in traditional Indian curry sauce with this family recipe from fashion designer Naeem Khan.
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2011
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- <u>Curry Paste</u>
- 8 to 10 fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated or frozen grated coconut, defrosted if frozen
- 4 long plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 pounds rock shrimp, deveined
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large high-sided skillet or wok over high heat. Add cumin seeds and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted. Add curry paste and curry leaves, and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 15 to 20 minutes. Oil will begin to separate from paste. Stir in coconut and tomatoes and continue cooking, 10 to 15 minutes more. If paste begins to look too dry, add a little water to moisten.
- Increase heat to high and add rock shrimp. Cook, stirring, until opaque, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro; serve immediately with rice.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.