Candied Meyer Lemon Peel
Make sweet Meyer lemons even sweeter with this candy recipe from June Taylor.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2011
- 3 medium Meyer lemons, preferably organic, rinsed and dried
- 3 1/4 cups sugar, preferably organic, plus more for coating
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Halve lemons crosswise and juice, if desired, reserving juice for another use. Cut each half into 4 equal pieces. Using a small sharp knife, remove the flesh from skin; if flesh has not been juiced, reserve for another use. Cut skin (pith and peel) into 1/2-inch pieces; set aside.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to a simmer and add lemon skin; let cook until skin offers no resistance when chewed, about 45 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Fill a large saucepan with 3 1/4 cups water. Add sugar and cream of tartar. Place over medium high heat and cook until sugar has dissolved. Add lemon skin to saucepan and bring to a simmer; let cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 230 degrees on a candy thermometer, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Drain lemon skin and place on a wire rack set over a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet; let dry until less sticky, about 2 days. Gently toss in sugar to coat. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place; do not refrigerate.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.