To get more mileage out of this recipe, leave the vegetable mixture to marinate in the refrigerator and use it for another dish later in the week.
Mad Hungry, February 2011
- 1/2 loaf Pugliese, sliced lengthwise, and again into 1 1/2-inch strips; cross-cut into 2-inch bread chunks, about 4 cups
- 1 red pepper, quartered and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 seedless cucumber, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/3 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces Greek feta, cut in chunks
- Spread bread on pan to dry out for a couple hours or overnight.
- Place pepper, cucumber, tomato, and onion in a bowl. Mix together olive oil, red-wine vinegar, sugar, and salt, and pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Add the bread and toss to combine. Allow the bread to sit for a bit to soak up the dressing. Crumble feta cheese on top. Cover and refrigerate up to overnight.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.