Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Use this sweet buttercream recipe, adapted from "Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook," in our Chocolate-Peppermint Cake.
The Martha Stewart Show, December 2010
- 12 large egg whites
- 3 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 cups (9 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over a saucepan of simmering water, combine the egg whites and sugar. Cook, whisking constantly, until sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch (about 160 degrees).
- Attach bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat the egg-white mixture on high speed until it holds stiff (but not dry) peaks. Continue beating until the mixture is fluffy and cooled, about 15 minutes.
- Switch to the paddle attachment. With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the butter several tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. (If the frosting appears to separate after all the butter has been added, beat on medium-high speed until smooth again, 3 to 5 minutes more.) Beat in vanilla. Beat on lowest speed to eliminate any air bubbles, about 2 minutes. Stir with a rubber spatula until frosting is smooth.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.