Potato and Bacon Cake
This simple four-ingredient dish can be assembled the day before and refrigerated, tightly covered.
Photography: Con Poulos
Everyday Food, May 2011
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 35 minutes
- Serves 8
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound bacon, cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large pot, bring potatoes to a boil over high in salted water. Reduce to a rapid simmer and cook 7 minutes. Drain well and return potatoes to pot. Meanwhile, in a large cast-iron or heavy skillet, cook bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until browned but not completely crisp, 7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour all but 2 tablespoons fat into a small bowl. Return skillet to heat and cook one-third the potatoes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown, 3 minutes. Transfer to an 8-inch round cake pan (2 inches deep); sprinkle with one-third the bacon. Press firmly with the back of a large spoon to pack mixture very tightly. Cook remaining potatoes in two batches. Layer each batch in pan with bacon, pressing as you go. Spoon 1/4 cup reserved bacon fat over mixture. Cover tightly with foil; bake 1 hour. Remove foil; bake until potatoes are crisp and golden, 30 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes. Invert onto a plate.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.