Brussels Sprout Leaves and Crunchy Garden Radishes
This tasty recipe from Ubuntu chef Jeremy Fox is featured in our Fresh and Festive Vegetarian Thanksgiving Menu.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound assorted radishes, such as redhead, D'Avignon, zlata, amethyst, icicle, or plum, washed, dried, and trimmed
- 2 teaspoons almond oil
- Whole blanched almonds, coarsely chopped, for garnish
- Celery heart leaves, for garnish
- Trim about 1/4 inch from the stem end of brussels sprouts. Peel leaves to separate. When brussels sprouts become difficult to peel, trim off another 1/4 inch from stem and continue removing leaves; discard cores. Rinse leaves and pat dry; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and a pinch of salt; season with pepper. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add brussels sprout leaves and cook, stirring, until leaves are coated and tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, toss radishes with almond oil and season with salt and pepper. Place brussels sprout leaves on a platter and top with radishes. Garnish with almonds and celery heart leaves; serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.