The Modern Old-Fashioned
Update the traditional old-fashioned with this innovative recipe from Danny Meyer's "Mix Shake Stir" (2009; Little, Brown and Company).
Also try: Mortoni, Cranberry Daiquiri
The Martha Stewart Show, December 2009
- 4 dried cherries
- 1 1/2 ounces pear liqueur, such as Poire William
- Ice cubes
- 5 slices ripe but firm red Bosc pear
- Splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ounces bourbon, preferably Michter's
- 1/2 ounce Danny Meyer's Simple Syrup (http://www.marthastewart.com/284133/simple-syrup)
- Dash of Angostura bitters
- Place 3 of the dried cherries and 1/2 ounce of pear liqueur in a small bowl; let stand until cherries are plump. Thread cherries onto a small skewer; set aside. Fill a rocks glass with ice; set aside.
- Place 4 slices pear, lemon juice, and remaining cherry in the bottom of a cocktail shaker; muddle using a muddler or back of a wooden spoon. Add ice, bourbon, remaining 1 ounce pear liqueur, simple syrup, and bitters; cover and shake vigorously until well combined.
- Strain into prepared glass and serve immediately garnished with cherry skewer and remaining pear slice.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.