Blueberry Bran Muffins
Toss the blueberries in flour before adding them to the batter; this will allow them to suspend evenly through the muffins instead of sinking to the bottom. Fold the berries gently into the batter to avoid turning it blue.
From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books).
Mad Hungry, April 2011
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup safflower (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup wheat bran or wheat germ
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Separately beat together the eggs, maple syrup, sugar, oil, and milk. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Stir in the berries and bran. Fill the muffin cups three-quarters full.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.