These fried vegetarian patties can be served in salads or pita sandwiches.
Mad Hungry, May 2011
- 1 3/4 cups Cooked Dried Chickpeas (http://www.marthastewart.com/349173/cooked-dried-chickpeas), or 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup safflower or canola oil
- For serving: pita bread, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, romaine lettuce leaves, and store-bought tahini sauce.
- Place half of chickpeas in food processor and pulse a few times until chopped, transfer to a large bowl.
- Place remaining chickpeas in food processor with garlic, onion, herbs, spices, baking soda, salt, and lemon juice. Pulse to a thick, chunky paste, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl with chopped chickpeas.
- Add egg and sesame seeds to bowl and stir to combine. Cover and chill batter in fridge 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil shimmers, drop heaping tablespoons of batter into skillet and gently press batter into 2-inch-round patties. Cook, turning once, until deep golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve falafel with pita bread, sliced tomatoes and red onion, romaine leaves, and store-bought tahini dressing.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.