Use to make Meatballs Tony's Way from "The Frankies Spuntino Kitchen Companion and Cooking Manual," by chefs Frank Falcinelli and Frank Castronovo.
The Martha Stewart Show, January 2011
Yield Makes about 3 quarts
- 1 cup olive oil
- 13 cloves garlic
- 4 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled Italian tomatoes
- Large pinch of crushed red-pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt, plus more as needed
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a deep saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic is deep golden brown and fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour tomatoes into a large bowl and pull the firmer stem end from each tomato and discard along with any basil leaves that may be packed into the can. Crush tomatoes using your hands; set aside.
- Add pepper flakes to saucepan and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and salt; stir to combine. Increase heat to medium and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced by a little more than half, about 2 hours.
- Season sauce with salt and remove from heat; let cool.
Freeze for up to 3 months.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.