Rhubarb and Strawberry Ice Cream
Unlike many ice-cream recipes, this one does not contain any eggs.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2001
- 1 pound trimmed rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces ripe strawberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- Place rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar, and the water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to mediumlow; let simmer, stirring frequently, until rhubarb is very tender and beginning to fall apart, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat; transfer to a bowl; set aside.
- Place strawberries in the bowl of a food processor; puree. Strain through a fine sieve or chinois into a bowl; set aside.
- Scald cream and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Do not let boil. Remove from heat, add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, and stir until sugar is dissolved. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked rhubarb, strawberry puree, cream mixture, and kirsch. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill at least 2 hours or overnight. Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.