Refried Black Beans
Use to make Chicken Tomatillo Tostadas.
The Martha Stewart Show, January 2011
Yield Makes enough for 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, very finely chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder; cook, stirring, until garlic is softened and mixture is fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and discard. Add 2/3 of the black beans and stir to coat. Add 2/3 cup water and mash mixture using a potato masher. Add remaining black beans and stir to combine; add water, if necessary to thin. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm until ready to use.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.