World's Greatest Onion Dip
Fans of Kors d'Oeuvres founder Korey Provencher have deemed this creamy onion dip the "world's greatest"; put it to the test at your next dinner party.
Also Try: Spinach and Artichoke Dip
The Martha Stewart Show, December 2010
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 small onions, chopped
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Pinch of celery salt
- Assorted crudite, for serving (optional)
- Flatbreads or toasted baguette slices, for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in heavy-bottom pan or Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, shallot, and thyme. Let cook until onions are very soft and caramel in color, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Add vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; let cook until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add cooled onions and celery salt; stir to combine. Transfer to refrigerator to chill at least 2 hours and up to 2 weeks; serve with crudite, flatbreads, or baguette slices.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.