Photo: Raymond Hom
New Greek Salad
Golden croutons made from olive bread boost the presence of the Kalamata olives, both of which are fried in this rendition of the salad. Cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion -- tumbled over slices of feta -- are all here. Dill adds a bright spring grassiness.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2011
For the croutons and olives
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 loaf olive bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
For the salad
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 block feta cheese (6 ounces), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Make the croutons and olives: Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over high heat until it reaches 360 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Fry bread and olives until bread is golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a paper-towel-lined plate using a slotted spoon.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the salad: Combine tomatoes, cucumber, dill, and onion in a large bowl.
- Toss salad with dressing. Arrange feta on a plate. Top with salad, croutons, and olives.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.