Strawberry Corn Muffins
Dried strawberries can be found in some grocery stores and specialty-food markets. You can also make muffins plain or with dried cranberries.
Photography: Luca Trovato
Martha Stewart Living, December 2000
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dried strawberries
- 3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners; set aside. Place strawberries and 1 tablespoon flour in a bowl; toss to combine; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine milk, melted butter, and eggs; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the remaining 3 cups flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk mixture; mix on low speed until just blended. Add reserved dried strawberries; mix to combine. Spoon batter into prepared tin, making sure all batter is used. Brush muffin tops with water, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place in oven; bake until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Remove muffins from pan, and place on a wire rack to cool.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.