Depending on the humidity, you may have to add or subtract a tablespoon of water when making the dough in step 1; it should have a smooth but slightly sticky consistency.
Martha Stewart Living, September 1998
- 1/2 cup warm water (100 degrees to 110 degrees)
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bowl and brushing
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Heat a grill or grill pan until hot. Place water in a medium bowl, and sprinkle yeast on top; stir to dissolve. Let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add olive oil, flour, and salt; combine. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, 1 to 2 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into four equal pieces, and roll out each into a 1/8-inch-thick round. Lightly brush both sides of each round with olive oil, and place the rounds directly on the hot grill. Grill the flatbread until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from grill, and season with salt.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.