Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream
The eight-cup yield will cover an eight-inch three-layer cake; use half a batch for a six-inch three-layer cake.
- 3 cups (6 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 9 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium. Add the confectioner's sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed, about 5 minutes total. After every 2 additions, raise speed to high, and beat 10 seconds to aerate the frosting. Add vanilla, and beat until buttercream is smooth.
Buttercream can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 10 days. Bring to room temperature, and beat on low speed until smooth, about 10 minutes, before using.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.