Chicken Broth with Shiitake Mushrooms and Broccoli
You can make the broth up to Step 2 a couple of days in advance, and refrigerate.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1998/1999
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 8 cups <u>Homemade Chicken Stock</u>, or low-sodium canned chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 1 ounce (about 10) dried shiitake mushrooms, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 1 head garlic
- 4 ounces (about 12) fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced crosswise into thin pieces
- 1 small or 1/2 large head broccoli, trimmed of stalks and florets reserved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine chicken wings, chicken stock, dried shiitake mushrooms, onion, thyme, and peppercorns in a medium saucepan. Cover; bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently, with lid slightly ajar, 1 hour.
- Strain the broth through a fine sieve set over a heat-proof bowl, and discard the solids. Let the broth cool to room temperature, and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Transfer broth to refrigerator, and chill.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap garlic head in aluminum foil, and cook until cloves become very soft, 35 to 45 minutes. Set roasted garlic aside to cool.
- Using a spoon, skim off all fat from chilled broth; discard the fat. Transfer the broth to a medium saucepan, and warm over medium-low heat. Add the fresh shiitake mushrooms; continue warming soup.
- Remove the roasted garlic from each clove, and transfer to a small bowl. Using a fork, combine until a puree forms. Set aside.
- Place a steamer basket in the bottom of a large saucepan containing 1 inch of water. Place broccoli florets in steamer. Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, and steam, until broccoli is fork tender, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove broccoli from the steamer.
- Add steamed broccoli to the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Divide soup among four soup plates, and garnish each with 1/2 teaspoon roasted-garlic puree. Serve hot.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.