Petits Choux with Rose Cream
We reinvented a classic pastry as an homage to the rose: Pastry cream and whipped cream -- the first flavored with rose syrup, the second with rose water -- are layered in tender pate a choux shells and garnished with petals.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2006
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 large whole eggs, plus 1 large egg white if needed
- Rose Pastry Cream (http://www.marthastewart.com/263643/rose-pastry-cream)
- Rose Whipped Cream (http://www.marthastewart.com/263649/rose-whipped-cream)
- Pesticide-free rose petals, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring butter, sugar, salt, and 1 cup water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in flour. Return to medium-high heat; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture pulls away from sides, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on low speed until slightly cooled, about 1 minute. Raise speed to medium. Add whole eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Test batter by touching it with your finger and lifting to form a soft peak. If a soft peak does not form, mix in egg white a little at a time until it does.
- Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 9/16-inch plain round tip (such as Ateco No. 807); set aside. Dip a 1-inch round cookie cutter in flour; mark circles 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with nonstick baking mats or parchment paper. Pipe batter into circles to fill. Gently smooth and round tops with a moistened fingertip.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer sheets to wire racks to cool.
- Poke a small hole in bottom of each choux with a 5/16-inch French tip (such as Ateco No. 863). Transfer 1 cup pastry cream to a pastry bag fitted with a 5/16-inch plain round tip (such as Ateco No. 802). Fill each choux with pastry cream.
- Fold remaining 3/4 cup pastry cream into whipped cream until nearly incorporated but streaks are still visible. Put 6 filled choux into each serving dish; top with whipped cream, dividing evenly. Garnish with rose petals if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.