Braised String Beans and Chickpeas
To keep the strings beans tender while they cook, allow some of the water to cling to them before they go into the hot pan.
Source: Mad Hungry, April 2011
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and washed, water left clinging to beans
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 sprig basil
- 1/2 lemon
- Heat an 8-inch pot and add a drizzle of olive oil. Scatter in the shallots. Sprinkle on the red pepper flakes and salt. Top with the green beans. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and basil sprig and stir to combine. Cook an additional 10 minutes. Turn off heat and squeeze over lemon before serving.
© 2015 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.